The student news site of Misericordia University

The Highlander

Pie A Professor To Benefit Children

Pie in the Face 3-14-13

Pie in the Face 3-14-13

Pie in the Face 3-14-13

Kaitlin Hall, Reporter

Have you ever wanted to pie a professor? Now you can.

Sigma Tau Delta, the English honor society, will have a fundraiser that allows students to pie a professor – or several. Several times.

Beginning on Halloween, members will sit in the lobby of the Banks Center, and offer a container in which students can buck up to pie the prof of their choice. Club members wills post flyers throughout campus listing dates and times students can vote. The top three professors will receive a pie in the puss Nov. 17 at 4 p.m. Students, faculty, and staff can buy raffle tickets for the chance to join in the whipped cream whipping.

Proceeds benefit the Wilkes-Barre Area School District. The club’s goal this year is to raise enough money to buy tablets, which will have an app that will allow students to search and read thousands of books for free. The goal is to combine technology and literacy to help children learn.

Advisor Dr. Amanda Caleb, Associate Professor of English, wants to see a lot of money raised.

“Seriously, I hope students, faculty, staff, administrators will donate generously for the cause. I also hope they will learn a little more about Sigma Tau Delta and the needs of the Wilkes-Barre Area School District,” said Caleb.

The school district is often in the news for its money woes and  diminishing educational programming. There is still a need to help the district and the children, she said.

“I don’t think people realize the real limitations of budgets and all the shortfalls. Hopefully, this event raises money and raises awareness, and is just good fun,” Caleb said.

Christine Zopf, Sigma Tau Delta’s Vice President and senior business and English major, shares the passion for helping students. “I would love to see us provide tablets to the Wilkes-Barre Area School District. It would be wonderful if we could provide every classroom with multiple tablets, which would give children access to reading and learning materials,” said Zopf.

She added that students have many sweet reasons to participate.

“When else does a student really have the opportunity to do something like that? I think students would especially want to pie the professors they have good relationships with because its all in good fun and its all for a good cause. Maybe some students just want to pie their professor because they’re still a little bitter about that grade they got on a paper. There are definitely a lot of motivating factors,” she said.

Sigma Tau Delta members thought long and hard to select a fundraiser. They wanted to have fun while also bringing awareness about an important issue such as literacy. One of the goals of the national organization is to “serve society by fostering literacy,” and the university’s chapter has embraced that for years. Past service projects included starting a scholarship fund for kids at the Wilkes-Barre Area School District to enable children to purchase books at their Scholastic Book fairs, purchasing 1,200 dictionaries for the district’s elementary schools, and donating over 1,400 books to local libraries after Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee.

“Literacy for children is important to me because it opens to many doors for them. Not only does it really allow them to dive into their imaginations, but it also gives them the opportunity to learn on their own, to grow, and to discover their passions in a way they may not be able to if they could not read,” Zopf said.

Caleb stressed that service is important to the society, its members, and the advisor. “If an honor society is about more than just academic achievement – and I believe the mere use of the word honor implies as much – then we have an obligation to help where we can. To be in an honor society is a combination of hard work and access to education, something not everyone has. Therefore, we should outreach to the community in ways that promote literacy and education,” said Caleb.

Cordell Gresh, sophomore education major, understands the importance of literacy for children. His participation allows him to express how important literacy is in the world and why the fundraiser is important.

“Some students in poverty-stricken families or areas often don’t have access to a lot of books, and therefore don’t really get the chance to read in their younger years. For some, their parents work all the times and don’t get to spend that time with the children teaching them to read. I think that helping children who need literacy help is one of the most important things you can raise money for,” Cordell said.

For more information, contact Dr. Amanda Caleb at 570-674-8113 or acaleb@misericordia.edu.

• Pie A Professor To Benefit Children

Campus Life

Students Adjusting to Housing Policy Change Sparks

• Pie A Professor To Benefit Children

Campus Life

Students are Loving the Lovesacs

• Pie A Professor To Benefit Children

Campus Life

Diversity Club Struggling for Membership

• Pie A Professor To Benefit Children

Campus Life

‘Love Your Melon’ Fights Against Childhood Cancer

• Pie A Professor To Benefit Children

Campus Life

Relay For Life Prepares for Big event

• Pie A Professor To Benefit Children

Campus Life

Library Staffers to Spill Secrets of the Internet

• Pie A Professor To Benefit Children

Campus Life

Turkey Trot Benefits Relay for Life

• Pie A Professor To Benefit Children

Campus Life

Campus Safety to Bear Arms?

• Pie A Professor To Benefit Children

Arts and Entertainment

Players and PATA to Perform

• Pie A Professor To Benefit Children

Campus Life

What It’s Like to Walk the Length of Campus

Pie A Professor To Benefit Children